January 9, 2012

Tomato Soup Recipe

I am so sick. And mothers don't get to call in sick. I still have to get up at o-dark-thirty with my kids and watch my sister's daughter. Nevermind that I'd like nothing better than to spend some quality time with my pillow. And this morning, I had entirely lost my voice (though it's comin back now) and my face was all swollen, so much so that I could barely even open my left eye. WTH? I felt like I'd been beaten up, or like I had a massive hangover... although, truthfully I have NO IDEA what either of those things feel like. I'm just judging from Hollywood's representation of them. LOL.

This morning for breakfast, since I've run out of our FABULOUS 12 grain cereal, I'm eating cheetos, wafer cookies, and Dr. Pepper. :) Yeah, I guess I need to go get more cereal if this is the alternative.

But yesterday, due to my sore throat, I broke down and tried a new recipe for tomato soup. And it was WONDERFUL!!! Not as nice on my throat as my favorite roasted red bell pepper soup, but still very good... and oh so healthy, if you don't count the grilled cheese sandwiches I ate with it. :) But they were there purely for protein, right?

So here's the recipe, tuck it away for when you get sick (it feels SO good on a sore throat), or make it now. You won't be sorry. :)

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Make your grilled cheese sandwiches like you normally would. Then serve it with this tomato soup.
 
2lbs fresh tomatoes
3 red bell peppers
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 pack of fresh basil (about 12-18 leaves), chopped
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp chipotle powder (or cayenne if you prefer)
2 TBS tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
 
Cut 2 red bell peppers in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds and most of the ribs. Score the INSIDE with a fork  and place skin side up on a cookie sheet.




 
Cut about 1/4 of the tomatoes in half and put them skin side up on the same cookie sheet. Turn your oven to high broil.
 
Put the cookie sheet in the oven so that the top of the veggies are 6-8 inches away from the heating element.
 
Broil until skins are nice and black. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully. Try to pull off as much of the blackened skin as possible, but don't be too fussy. Discard skins.
 
Chop all of the tomatoes and red bell peppers (both the raw and the roasted). Put all of the ingredients into a food processor or upright blender (I have to do it in batches). Puree until it's smooth and creamy, not chunky. Don't add any extra liquid. Heat it up, but don't overcook it. It should still taste "fresh" when it's done.
 

2 comments:

  1. I lost my voice a couple days ago too, but it was back the next morning. Weird. That tomato soup sounds delicious, I don't have fresh tomatoes and the ones at the supermarket where green green! Do you think my home canned tomatoes would work? I know it wouldn't taste as fresh that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tia, I would say that your home canned garden tomatoes would even be better than fresh store ones, although not as good as fresh garden ones. :)I always puree my canned tomatoes for soup. So good. Too bad I didn't can at all this year! It will be a little more watery than the fresh soup, but you can either add more tomato paste or just simmer it for a little bit to let some water cook off.

    ReplyDelete