January 21, 2013

Succotash Recipe

Okay, this is probably my all time favorite side dish. Full of veggies and flavor, with almost nothing "unhealthy" in it, and takes all of 10 minutes to make.  You could easily make it into a main dish by adding black beans and serving it over rice... or adding some shredded chicken breast and serve it over noodles... or something easy like that. I've done both, they're good, but I always fall back to the straight veggie version. 
 
I grew up watching that cartoon cat use succotash as a curse word, and had no idea that it was an actual food item. A very yummy food item at that! Then a few years ago I saw some chef on TV doing his version of it, I guess it's an old traditional recipe that's supposed to have come down from when the American Indians helped the Pilgrims survive.
Wow, who knew?
 
It's supposed to be sauteed in bear fat,
but if you can't find that at your local store (ha!) you can just use oil.
I usually just use olive oil, but sometimes I'll use bacon grease to feel more pioneery.
Anyway, I've been making it ever since I saw that show, and I've changed it many times over. This is just my version, but I love it... and my kids even love it, which really counts for vegetable dishes.
 
So get out your largest frying pan, and heat a little oil in it. Then add:
 
1 white onion, chopped
1-2 zucchini squash, chopped
1-2 yellow summer squash, chopped
1 tsp salt
 
Let those sautee over medium-high heat for a little, because they'll take the longest to cook. After about 2 minutes, add:
 
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
 
Wait another minute... what I really do is just chop the veggies as I go, in the order I'm telling  you. (Chop onion, dump it. Chop squash, into the pot. Add salt. Chop pepper, in it goes.) I chop very slowly, which gives it just the right amount of time to cook, so that at the end (10 minutes tops), everything is tender-firm and delicious.
 
Okay, so next add:
 
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
2-3 roma sized tomatoes, chopped
4-5 dark green leaves (I like kale, but you could use collards or spinach too) Cut those leaves into "ribbons" for a pretty look, or just chop them and stick them in.
More salt and pepper to taste
 
Leave over heat just long enough for the leaves to get tender.
And that's it. Just eat it.
Sometimes I'll add a pinch of oregano or something, but usually I just rely on the veggies to flavor themselves. And, unless you cooked it over too high of heat, you should have a nice amount of liquid in it which helps it to pair nicely with a grain or something.
 
I know this is a huge amount of food, but we really do love it that much, plus I'm frequently cooking for lots of people... and anything veggie that my kids will eat is something worth making a lot of!
So you could easily cut the recipe in half, or even quarter it, just to try it and see if it's a fit for you.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I've never had it - we will have to try it, it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious... my in-laws are coming over for dinner in a few days... I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete